Irving Place Studio's Hot Chocolate series. Speckled white glaze on unglazed dark brown stoneware. Hand thrown on the potter's wheel. Handmade in Los Angeles, California, USA.
Photos of Dora from top to bottom:
1. Dora in the Kiln at USC, 1955
2. Dora with her teachers Vivika and Otto Heino at USC, 1954
3-7. Working on sculptures, 1950's
8. Working at Irving Place Studio, 1970's
9. Set of Plates that Dora made for The White House for The Senate Wives Luncheon, 1977
10. Working on "Ocean" totem for her 50th year retrospective at the Craft and Folk Art Museum, 2009
11-14. Suenos / Yume - Fifty Years of the Art of Dora De Larios, major retrospective at The Craft and Folk Art Museum in Los Angeles, 2009. Standing next to "Earth Goddess" and "Warrior". With her daughter Sabrina at Suenos / Yume - Fifty Years of the Art of Dora De Larios.
15-16. Art Along the Hyphen: The Mexican American Generation at The Autry Museum in Los Angeles, 2011. A J. Paul Getty Pacific Standard Time event. Dora's sculptures from the 1960's-1980's were included in this group show.
17. Common Ground - Ceramics in Southern California 1945-1975 at the American Museum of Ceramic Art, 2011. Another J. Paul Getty Pacific Standard Time event. Dora's early sculptures were included in this very important group exhibit.
18. Unloading a bisque kiln at her studio in Los Angeles.
19. At her studio today. Welcoming and always ready to share what she is working on.
20. New work - "Red" 2013, glazed porcelain with textured brass and copper.
Small Plates, Dinner Plates and Drinking bowls in different glazes.
Irving Place Studio's Porcelain with white glaze series is truly elegant. We glaze the interior and top exterior of the ware with white glaze and leave the exterior of the ware unglazed. Our plates are glazed on the inside of the plate only, the rim and outside of the plate are soft unglazed porcelain. It is a great combo and puts a spin on white plates and bowls. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.
Moss! Earthy, almost stone like in feeling. Moss ranges from rusty red to mottled avocado green with touches of gray. It almost looks like an earthy rainbow where the colors blend into each other. Lots of variation!
Robin's Egg - what a wild combo! Speckled light periwinkle blue on toasty brown stoneware. Rustic jewel-like? Funky wabi-sabi? We don't know - but we LOVE it!
Bowls and plates being made. Handmade in Los Angeles,
Irving Place Studio will periodically offer signed and numbered limited editions by Dora De Larios. Dora's first limited edition series for Irving Place Studio is a mythology series - Europa and the Bull, Neptune, a Centaur and Mermaids adorn large vessels. Dora is well known for her beautiful brush work and here she demonstrates her graceful hand at these wonderful one of a kind designs. We love Dora!
Irving Place Studio handmade bowls and plates for everyday. Locally thrown. Handmade in Los Angeles, California, USA.
Irving Place Studio's Forest series. This glaze was developed by Dora De Larios for Irving Place Studio. Our Forest series is a wonderful earthy speckled and streaked greenish, brown, ocher glaze on toasty brown stoneware. All bowls and plates are hand thrown on the potter's wheel. Handmade in Los Angeles,
Here are some new shapes that we are making. These are in our Hot Chocolate color way. We are going to be making all of these shapes in Forest, Moss and our new Light Blue.